Disability retirement or workers' comp?


Q. Postal worker. CSRS retirement plan. Currently work full time limited duty with 20 percent permanent disability accepted by the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs. Have new personal disability, cancer. Will be unable to work now. 33 years service. Age 53 in September. Do I seek CSRS disability retirement for my illness, or OWCP disability from my job injury? Are there other financial considerations I’m missing?

A. You need to apply for both disability retirement and workers’ compensation. If approved for both, you may be better off financially to choose workers’ compensation. You would always have the option of leaving workers’ comp and accepting the disability annuity if things change.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply