Survivor benefit from reduced annuity for disabled child


Q. I am a CSRS employee planning to retire at the end of the year and planning to elect less than a full survivor benefit. We have an adult daughter disabled at birth. If I select this option, will she still be eligible for her survivor benefit? If so, how much?

A. The amount of survivor annuity you elect, with your spouse’s signed and notarized consent, is irrelevant. If you were to die, your disabled child would be entitled to a child’s survivor benefit. In 2013, if your wife were still living, the child would receive $492 a month. If neither of you survived, it would be $594. These figures are adjusted annually.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply