Q. I am 56 with eight years of service. If I am laid off, would I be entitled to collect my retirement benefits at age 62? Would I be able to pick up Federal Employees Health Benefits at that time?

A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. However, you wouldn’t be able to re-enroll in the FEHB program.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply