Retirement scenario


Q. At what point would I be eligible to receive a retirement if I ended my career at age 47 with 18 years, six months and about 15 days of creditable time as a federal employee? What portion of that will my ex-wife get if I continue to work beyond that time as a federal employee (more years added), especially if there is no eligibility for 18 years?

A. You would be able to apply for a deferred retirement at your minimum retirement age. If you are 47 now, that would be 56 and 4 months. However, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent ffor every year you are under age 62. We aren’t able to answer questions about divorce settlements. You’ll have to consult an attorney.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply