Special retirement supplement


Q. I have approximately 24 years of FERS service (USDA, Forest Service) and have approximately six years (10 seasons) of temp/seasonal time, all of which occurred before 1989. I have paid a deposit for all of my time as a federal temp/seasonal employee. Will the special retirement supplement be calculated only on my 24 years of FERS service? Or, because I made the deposit for all of my seasonal time, will it be based on all 30 years of my federal service? I am hoping to retire at the end of the year. I will have over 30 years and will meet my minimum retirement age.

A. Your SRS will be based on all of your FERS-covered service, both actual and nondeposit service for which you’ve made a deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply