Retirement eligibility


Q. I worked as a civilian employee for Alameda Naval Air Base, Calif., under CSRS for 20 years, eight months and four days. At the time the base was closed in 1995, I was not eligible for retirement due to my age. I will be 60 in a couple of weeks. Will I be eligible for my retirement from the federal government? How is that amount calculated and what do I need to do to start the process?

A. As long as you didn’t get a refund of your retirement contributions, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. A few months before your birthday, download a copy of OPM Form 1496A, complete it, and send it to the Office of Personnel Management. The form is available at, click on Forms.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply