Transferring from one federal agency to another


Q. I’m a full-time regular employee for the Postal Service. I work at a facility that is scheduled to close soon, resulting in the loss of my position. For the past several years, I also have been working part time for the Veterans Affairs health care system. If I transfer to a full-time position at VA, will my FERS contributions, annual and sick leave transfer, too? I’m 52 years old with 32 years of federal service. My minimum retirement age is 56 years.

A. Yes, it will all transfer with you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply