Re-employment and unused sick leave


Q. I was employed by the Postal Service for nearly six years and voluntarily separated. I am now employed by Defense Department and had 5½ years between employment periods. Is the sick leave I left at the Postal Service available to credit to my current job? How can I find the balance available?

A. Your unused sick leave will be recredited to you. Ask your personnel office to find the amount and post it to your account.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply