Changing to self-only coverage


Q. If I’m under my wife’s health plan (she is also a federal employee), and she retires and keeps the same plan, once our dependent is no longer in the plan, we are thinking of changing to self-only. We will both be retired by then. Can I then enroll in self, although at retirement I was under her? Or do I need to be in my wife’s health plan forever since at retirement I was under her?

A. You and your wife can switch to self-only coverage during any open season, whether you are employed or retired.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply