3-month 'layoff' and creditable service


Q. I am in CSRS Offset. I am 56 with 29 years of Veterans Affairs Department service. Do I have to wait until November 2014, when I will have 30 years of service, before I can obtain retirement benefits? My service was involuntarily interrupted when I was “laid off” for a three-month period. It was never technically referred to as a reduction in force, but I did obtain unemployment during that period. Is there any way I can get credit for that?

A. Yes, you’ll have to wait until you have 30 years of service to retire. Whether that period of “laid off” service is creditable depends on the nature of the personnel action. You’ll have to check with your personnel office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply