Government contributions to health benefits after retirement


Q. I am 61 years old. I want to know, if I retire from the Veterans Affairs Department at age 62, after 14 years of service, will my health benefits still have the same government contribution?

A. Because you aren’t a Postal Service employee, you’ll pay the same premiums in retirement as you would as an employee. Postal Service retirees lose their union-negotiated reduction in employee premiums and pay the same as everyone else.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply