Spousal FEHB coverage if primary leaves for Medicare


Q. I am 67-year-old annuitant under Federal Employees Health Benefits. I am thinking of switching to Medicare. If I switch to Medicare, will my spouse (52 years old) still be eligible for coverage under FEHB? If so, do we have to get her a self policy under FEHB, or do I have to continue to buy self and family to cover her?

A. Unless your wife is entitled to FEHB coverage based on her own federal employment, she wouldn’t be able to continue that coverage when you moved to Medicare. The only way you could cover her would be by continuing your enrollment in the self and family option of an FEHB plan.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply