Special retirement supplement


Q. I will be retiring Feb. 28, 2014. When can I sign up for my Social Security offset. I am a federal employee under FERS. I started work in August 1984.

A. I think you are referring to the special retirement supplement, which approximates the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a FERS employee. If that’s the case, you don’t have to do anything. The Office of Personnel Management will take care of that when it processes your retirement application and begin paying it to you when you reach your minimum retirement age.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply