When to change to self-and-family coverage


Q. I am a retired federal employee and have been receiving my health benefits in the “self-only” designation.  My spouse will be retiring from her private-sector position in June 2014. Must I change my health benefit designation to “family” this open season, or can I wait until June 2014 and change designations using the qualifying life event as a factor?

A. You can change it using Qualifying Life Event 2G.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply