Re-employment and avoiding offset


Q. I am retired under the CSRS/firefighter retirement benefit. At the time I retired, I was told that after five years, I would be able to hold a temporary, 1039 position without a pay offset of my annuity. Is this true?

A. I checked with the Office of Personnel Management, and they aren’t aware of any provision that would allow you to receive both your annuity and the full salary of that position. They did say that the agency could request a waiver of the dual compensation provision. However, that would only be approved if there were strong justification for it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply