Q. I am 52 years old and have 25 years of federal service to include my 13 years of military time, which I bought back. I am under FERS.

1. Do I qualify for the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority/Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay, if offered?

2. Would I take a cut in retirement benefits?

A. 1. Yes, you would qualify.

2. You would receive an annuity based on your combined years of service. That annuity would not be subject to the age penalty for being under age 62. And you would be eligible for the special retirement supplement when you reach your minimum retirement age.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply