Retirement eligibility


Q. I worked for the Postal Service from 1982 to 1996. I left and have been employed for the last 10 years at a small business. I am 52 years old. Am I entitled to retirement benefits?

A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions, you’d be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62. If you did receive a refund, you wouldn’t be entitled to anything.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply