Disability, retirement conversion and early-outs


Q. I am 53 on disability retirement under CSRS. I have 29 years and six months. When I turn 55, can I convert to regular retirement? Also if the Postal Service offers an early-out, am I eligible?

A. No on both counts. Let me explain. To end your disability retirement, you’d have to be found to have recovered from your disability. Then a year later, because of your age and service, you’d be eligible for discontinued service retirement, not an early-out. The latter is only available to employees.

Why you want to convert from disability retirement to regular retirement eludes me. The only difference would be that you’d no longer be required to provide periodic proof of your disability.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply