Draw from husband's retirement?


Q. My husband retired from the federal government a year and a half ago with 40 years of service. I am age 59 and employed by the commonwealth of Virginia. If I take early retirement through Virginia Retirement Service, can I draw on his retirement since I am not 62 and cannot draw Social Security?

A. No, you can’t. Assuming that he elected a survivor annuity for you as required by law, you’ll only be eligible for that benefit if he were to die.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply