Annuity eligibility


Q. I have worked for the Postal Service for nearly 15 years. If I resign and go work for the state of California, will I be able to claim annuity when I am old enough to retire? I am 42. Will I lose the time I spent with the Postal Service, or will I be able to get both federal and state retirement?

A. If you leave your retirement contribution in the retirement fund when you resign, you could apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. Receiving that annuity would have no effect on any other annuity to which you’d be entitled.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply