Disability retirement and SRS


Q. I am a federal law enforcement officer. I have an accepted workers’ compensation claim, and it appears that I am no longer physically able to perform the duties of my job. I do not appear to be completely disabled, so I probably can’t get Office of Workers’ Compensation Program disability.

I am four years short of being eligible for the minimum needed for enhanced law enforcement retirement.

If I obtain an Office of Personnel Management disability annuity, am I eligible to obtain the special retirement supplement until age 62?

A. No one who is approved for disability retirement is entitled to the special retirement supplement. Note: If you apply for FERS disability retirement, you must also apply for Social Security disability benefits, otherwise OPM won’t process your claim.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply