Legislative branch work


Q. I am in CSRS looking at any deposits owed. I worked in the legislative branch from Feb. 2, 1978, to Jan. 2, 1983, and paid FICA only. At the time I left the legislative branch, I became Ramspect Act eligible and was able to work noncompetitively for the Defense Department. Will I owe a deposit for my legislative service from Feb. 2, 1978, to Jan. 2, 1983, under CSRS?

A. You will get credit for that time in determining your total years of service. For the legislative branch service you performed before Oct. 1, 1982, you can either make a deposit or have your annuity reduced by 10 percent of the amount you owe, plus accrued interest. For service on or after Oct. 1, 1982, you’ll have to make a deposit to get any credit for that time in your annuity computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply