Pay for unused annual leave


 Q. I am a former federal employee. I have been separated from my agency for 40 days. I received my clearance upon separation. At the time of my separation, I had 346 hours of unused annual leave. I have tried to get paid for my annual leave, but I am being given the run around by my agency’s Pay, Benefit, and Retirement Division. What are my options, and whom do I contact to get my money?

A. I don’t know what kind of “run around” your agency is giving you; however, it is required by law to pay you for any unused annual leave. If you don’t get a response at the local level, you’ll have to move up the line, including, if necessary, the head of your former activity or the head of the agency.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply