Involuntary relocation


Q. I am a GS-15 in the Department of the Air Force in San Antonio. My parent office in D.C. is relocating all field representatives (there are nine of us) back to the National Capital Region. I am 57½ years old and have more than 13 years of service. I know I am always eligible for MRA + 10 retirement, but do I have other options? If I can retire and not lose the 5 percent per year, I would seriously consider this. There is also a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority window still open to me, I believe.

A. Unfortunately, if you don’t relocate, your only options are to find another job in the D.C. area or retire under the MRA+10 provision. Because you don’t have at least 20 years of service, you aren’t eligible for a VERA.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I am a GS-14 working at a NCR office of a regional combatant command. I was told I would be moved to Gernamy under the MDR. I have 9 years federal service. Do I have any options since I do not plan to take the realigned assignment to germany. Can I be placed in the PPP once I decline the move?

    • Your question falls outside the boundaries of this forum. Since your question and this response will be posted on the website, let’s hope that someone else will know the answer.

Leave A Reply