Deferring Social Security


Q. I am a FERS employee. If I retire at my minimum retirement age (56) and receive the special retirement supplement until age 62, am I allowed to defer collecting Social Security until my full retirement age (66 and 10 months)?

A. Yes, you can. However, your special retirement supplement will end at age 62, regardless of what you do.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply