Survivor annuity


Q. I am a FERS employee who will be retiring in the near future. Is my best option a full, partial or no annuity for my wife?

A. You are required by law to provide a full survivor annuity to your spouse, unless he or she agrees in writing to a lesser amount or none at all. As to which might suit your joint needs best, you’ll have to consult a financial advisor, one who doesn’t have a vested interest in your decision.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply