Creditable service


Q. I will be 56 on April 27, 2017. My service computation date is Dec. 31, 1986. I was in the Coast Guard from 1982 to 1986 and with the National Park Service since Dec. 31, 1990. Seven years ago, I bought back my four years of service to add to FERS, but when I was hired by the NPS, for three years or so, I was under a temporary not-to-exceed one year appointment that got renewed each year until the Office of Personnel Management declared those appointments no longer valid. We were basically full-time employees with no benefits. So I’m assuming those three years or so of temp employment will not count toward my time? And that you can’t buy that time back like I did my military service time?

A. Nondeduction service performed on or after Jan. 1, 1989, isn’t creditable service, nor can you make a deposit to get credit for it. When you retire, your annuity will be based solely on those actual years of service and the additional ones for which you’ve already made a deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply