Military and federal retirement


Q. I have 23½ years of honorable military service and am receiving a retirement check from Defense Finance and Accounting Services for 10 years.

If I enter federal service, do I have to stop my military retirement?

If I retire after 10 years of federal service, would I receive two retirements: one for military service and one from federal service? Or would I receive one retirement check based on the high-3?

A. If you make a deposit for your active-duty service, you would only have to waive your military retired pay when you retired. If you didn’t make a deposit and were eligible to retire from your civilian job, you’d be able to receive both your military retired pay and you civilian annuity.

Note: If you retired with only 10 years and weren’t age 62, your civilian annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every month you were under age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply