Special retirement supplement


Q. I am retiring at age 55. I will have 26 years of 6(c)-covered service and an additional two years of military for a total of 28 years. What is the maximum amount of special retirement supplement I can get as a military veteran?

A. The maximum special retirement supplement you can get is one based solely on your actual FERS service. Active-duty service for which you’ve made a deposit cannot be included. FYI: You can earn as much as you want from wages or self-employment without affecting the SRS until you reach your MRA, which is 56. After that, you’ll be subject to the Social Security earnings limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply