State taxes


Q. When I retire under CSRS, I will not have state taxes taken out of my check. How do I know how much to pay the state? Do I pay quarterly or yearly? Where do I find the information?

A. You say that you won’t have state taxes taken out of your annuity. However, you can have them deducted from your annuity, just as you did for your salary. As to the amount your annuity will be taxed, you’ll have to check with your state’s taxing authority to find that out.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply