Refund of military service deposit


Q. I have approximately five-plus years of active military service, and approximately four years of civilian time. If I buy back my military time now and later decide not to retire from the federal civil service, can I receive that money back?

A. Yes. And you’d not only receive a refund of your active-duty military deposit but all of your contributions to the civilian retirement system. That would void your entitlement to any civilian retirement benefit unless you returned to work for the federal government and redeposited that money, plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply