Late application for FERS annuity


Q. I am 64 years old. From 1986 to 1995, I worked for the federal government and was covered by FERS. I just now realized that I may be eligible for a pension, starting at age 62. If I apply now, will I be somehow able to recover the two years’ worth of payments that I did not collect? Can I wait even longer, until the time that my total income (and my tax bracket) will be lower than it is now?

A. According to OPM, your annuity would be retroactive to age 62, unless you want it to begin at a later date.


About Author

Leave A Reply