Medical disqualification


Q. I will be 52 and have 29 years of technician service (32 years National Guard) under FERS. If I was diagnosed with a medical condition that ended my military career, would I be eligible for the non-reduced pension/Social
Security Offset/ and access to my TSP, since I have 25 years, I am age 50 and would be losing my military position through no fault of my own?
A. You would be entitled to a discontinued service retirement, which wouldn’t be subject to the 5 percent per year penalty for being under age 62. Further, you would be immediately eligible for the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply