Years to be vested


Q. I’m in the FERS program. Do you know how many years of service are required in order to be vested? If I leave government service after almost eight years, will I be vested in my TSP and annuity? Will I receive a pension?

A. You’ll be vested in the retirement system when you have five years of full-time service. If you leave your contributions in the retirement fund and leave government, you’ll be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply