Q. I worked for the United States Postal Service as a regular employee for nine years and 11 months. I left for the private sector. Do I have any sort of pension with them besides the thrift savings plan? I didn’t get a refund of my retirement contributions when I left.

A. Since you left your contributions in the retirement fund, you’ll be entitled to a deferred annuity. To get it, you’ll have to complete RI Form 92-19 and send it to the Office of Personnel Management two months before you reach age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I went through training and worked for PO about a month and 1/2 and did not take my contribution. How do I find out if there is any money due me

Leave A Reply