Discontinued Service Retirement eligibility


Q. I am 49 years old with 22 years of service under FERS.  If my agency separates me, through no fault of my own, am I eligible for Discontinued Service Retirement, even though I do not meet the minimum age of 50?

A. No, you wouldn’t be eligible for a DSR. However, if you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions, you’d be entitled to a deferred retirement at age 60.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply