FERS to CSRS Offset


Q. I have 34 years of government service. I was hired by the postal service as a FERS employee in 1990 and was converted to CSRS Offset in 2012. I am retired and plan on collecting my Social Security benefits this year, at age 62. How much will my civil service pension be reduced if my Social Security benefits are $1700 per month at age 62 and I received an annuity estimate of $3300 per month?

A. At age 62, your CSRS annuity will be reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset. The amount you receive will be the same — it will just come from two different places: the Office of Personnel Management and the Social Security Administration.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply