SRS entitlement


Q. I’m retired from the military with 30 years. I have 7 years as a GS-14 and I am 59 years old. Can I get the FERS supplement?

A. The only employees who are entitled to the special retirement supplement are those who retire at their minimum retirement age with 30 years of service, at age 60 with 20, or who retire under a VERA at age 50 with at least 20 years of service or at any age with 25. You would only be entitled to the SRS if you made a deposit for your active-duty service and waived your military retired pay when you retired from your civilian job.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

1 Comment

  1. Reginald Holmes on

    I have retired under CSRS aND I have FEHB, Self plus 1. I turn 65 in Dec my wife will turn 65 two months later. What options does my wife have for health insurance since I will be under Medicare, she will not be eligible for Medicare for another 2 months

Leave A Reply