Annuity reduction and divorce


Q. I retired in 2009 and elected to provide survivor benefits to my husband. We were married 18 years but are now divorcing. Can I remove him from this benefit and stop paying into it?

A. It depends on the terms of the court order ending your marriage. If it doesn’t include any entitlement to a survivor benefit for your ex-husband, you can provide a copy of the document to OPM and ask them to increase you annuity to what it would have been had you not elected a survivor benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply