Waiver of FEHB coverage


Q. How do I suspend my health insurance coverage? I will be eligible for my Air Force Reserve Retirement (100 percent VA health care and later TRICARE), Social Security (Medicare health coverage) and my annuity as a VA Medical Center employee (FEHBP). When I become eligible for TRICARE health coverage, I desire to suspend my civilian coverage and use TRICARE as primary and Medicare as secondary.

A. You can only suspend your FEHB coverage as a retiree, and then only if you are enrolled in either TRICARE or CHAMPVA.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Mr. Jones,

    Is this a change from past posts on this blog? All previous suspension answers had no reference to having to be a retiree to suspend FEHB in favor of Tricare?

  2. Hi Reg. I’m 59 and will be getting my tricare coverage as a retired army reservist when I hit 60 this year. I’m also an active GS employee and carry the FED EMPLOYEE health ins. I’m “self plus one” so my retired wife is covered. She is 70 and had medicare A and B. When I turn 60 and get tricare std or select…. will my wife get tricare for life, or select?? I know at 70 I get TFL, but not sure how spouse age plays into it. Thanks

Leave A Reply