About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I am 62 with disabilities and want to file for federal disability. I have been granted reasonable accommodations with part time hours from home. However I have a military deposit balance. Due to hardship I am unable to pay the remaining balance up front , can this balance be waived or paid from earned annual or sick leave balance if approved for federal disability?

    • It cannot be waived. If the dollar value of your annual leave balance is enough to cover the amount of the deposit, you can work with you agency and OPM to make that happen. If it isn’t enough and you don’t have enough additional money to cover the difference, you’d be out of luck. Sick leave is not an option, since it has no cash value.

Leave A Reply