FERS disability + Social Security disability


Q. Can you receive FERS disability along with Social Security disability? I have 12 years of U.S. Postal Service service and am 46 years of age.

A. A qualified yes. Let me explain. During the first 12 months, you’d receive 60 percent of your high-3, minus 100 percent of any Social Security disability benefit. After the first 12 months, you’d receive 40 percent of your high-3, minus 60 percent of any Social Security disability benefit. At age 62 your disability annuity would be converted to a regular annuity and you’d be able to receive your full Social Security disability benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. What are the possibilities of receiving VERA VESIP with 25 years of civil service, however being forced to retire with disabilities including 5 knee surgeries (TKA, A&A x2, MENISCUS TEAR all on same knee), pending back surgery(metal rods L4-L5), fibromyalgia, Migraine headaches & severe depression.
    All from work related injuries. Patients is not 55 yrs old as of yet.

    • There is no possibility unless your agency has been authorized to offer them and your position is one that is covered in the staff reorganization or reduction plan.

  2. Reg,
    I am an RN working for the VA with 32 yrs service time. In April 2015 I fell at work breaking my neck and tearing my right rotator cuff. I’ve been collecting Federal OWCP payments of $4,600.00/month (66 % of my salary) and have also been receiving Social Security payments of $2,400/month which started when I was 66 yrs old (I’m 70 now). After being on OWCP for 3 yrs they sent me a form 1032 for the 1st time. One question on the form asked if I was receiving Social Security earned for any time working for federal service. I answered yes and now I haven’t been paid my OWCP for over 2 months now. OWCP says I can’t collect federal OWCP and Social Security for any govt service at the same time. They’ve sent my case to Social Security Administration for a ruling. I called Soc Sec Admin and they say it will take up to 3 more months before they decide. What do you
    think they will decide?

Leave A Reply