Early retirement


Q. Can I retire at 50 with 25 years of service? I am not at my minimum retirement age, but in order to keep my health benefits, I would take the 5 percent per year that would reduce my annuity by 50 percent. Is this possible?

A. It would only be possible if your agency was authorized to offer that opportunity under the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, and then only if your position was one that was included in the staff reduction.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply