Leaving government


Q. I am 40 years old with 14 years of Federal Aviation Administration air traffic control. I have six years military and bought back my time. Can I take a deferred annuity and walk now with 20 years and then at age 60 apply for my retirement?

A. Yes, you can resign from the government and apply for a deferred annuity at age 60. That annuity will be based on your high-3 on the day you left. Just be aware that you won’t be able to re-enroll in either the Federal Employees Health Benefits program or the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance program when you apply for your deferred annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. If this person wants to keep their FEHB and FEGLI then they will have to stay in Air Traffic Control for 6 more years. Then they can retire immediately at age 46 under the special FERS provisions for law enforcement, fire fighting and air traffic control since they will have over 25 years service with 20 being air traffic control service!

Leave A Reply