Postponed retirement


Q. I am MRA +10 and want to postpone receipt of my FERS annuity until I turn 62. My agency says if I choose to “postpone” I can’t retire but have to resign and contact the Office of Personnel Management six months before my 62nd birthday. How do I “retire and postpone” instead of resign?

A. Your agency is correct. Just as they said, you’ll have to resign and apply for a postponed retirement six months before your 62nd birthday. You’ll find the Application for Deferred or Postponed Retirement online at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply