Insurable interest


Q. I chose an insurable interest annuity when I retired in 1998. I have since separated (never married this individual) and I just found out they have married. How can I stop this insurable interest annuity and will I be able to stop my deductions from my monthly retirement check? I was a Department of Defense CSRS employee.

A. The only circumstances that allow for a cancellation of an insurable interest annuity are listed in You’ll find them at Section 52A4.1-3. Unfortunately, none of them apply to your situation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply