Returning to work


Q. I retired as a Department of Defense employee with 30 years and 8 months of CSRS. I am 71 years old. I want to return back to work at the same office with a lower GS position. Let’s say GS-4 or 5. I retired as a GS 9 step 10. How will my retirement pay be affected?

A. Your retirement annuity wouldn’t be affected; however, the salary of your new position would be reduced by the amount of your annuity. If the difference between your annuity and the salary of that new position was too small, you could end up working for next to nothing.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I am 61 years old, 62 in October. I want to retire in Jan 2020. 22 yrs military+10 years GS FERS. Where do I start to gather the information I need to be successful with the retirement process.

    • Start with a visit to your agency’s servicing personnel office. They’ll provide you with the necessary forms and show you what information you need to provide.

Leave A Reply