Special retirement supplement qualification


Q. I’m 56 years old, which is my MRA, as I’ve been a federal employee for 28 years and 7 months. If I’m offered an early out and retire, will I be entitled to the special retirement supplement?

A. Yes, because you’ve already reached your MRA and have at least 25 years of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


    • If you aren’t offered an early retirement opportunity, you could still retire under the MRA+10 provision. If you did, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year (5/12th of 1 percent per month) that you were under age 62. You could reduce or eliminate that penalty by postponing the receipt of your annuity to a later date.

Leave A Reply