CSRS offset


Q. I retired on June 30, 1999 at age 47 on disability under the CSRS offset. I had exactly 21 years of service at the time of retirement.  I show the disability amount as wages on my tax return.  At what point can I start showing this income as a pension rather than wages?

A. This is a tax matter and falls outside my area of knowledge.  You’ll have to check with the IRS.  To get a head start, download a copy of IRS Publication 721, Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Benefits, available at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p721.pdf.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply