Disability and MRA


Q: I retired in 2007 on FERS disability after returning from Iraq where I spent about a year on special assignment for my federal agency. At the time, I had approximately 27 years of civil service (21 years, three months of federal civil service and six years of active duty military bought back). When I reach my minimum retirement age (56) next year can I switch to a regular retirement? That way I can work a little and not have an earnings limit of 80 percent.

A: No, you can’t switch. However, when you reach age 62, your disability annuity would automatically be converted to a regular retirement and the 80 percent earnings limit would no longer apply.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply